Our 20 favourite musician quotesMark Ellis
Anyone who has worked in live music, be it from behind the mixing desk or at the front of the stage, will know just how funny a place it can be. Just like a football dressing room, the camaraderie is – usually – unbeatable and full of characters you’ll remember for a lifetime.
Friendships are forged, the occasional enemy made and incidents take place that will forever be useful icebreakers during dinner table discussions.
But it’s the laughs that stick out the most. They’re the things that are most memorable when gigging. Laughing so hard your sides hurt is a regular occurrence when out on the the road.
With that in mind, we thought it would be fun to dig out our twenty most favourite quotes from famous musicians. You’ll doubtless have heard a few yourself.
1. “If I didn’t do this well, I just wouldn’t have anything to do…I can’t cook, and I’d be a terrible housewife.”
2. “All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
3. “I smash guitars because I like them.”
4. “When I was a little boy, I told my dad, ‘When I grow up, I want to be a musician.’ My dad said: ‘You can’t do both, Son’.”
5. “To get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder.”
6. “If I knew I had to play this song the rest of my life I probably woulda wrote something else….”
Joe Walsh (“Rocky Mountain Way”)
7. “I never practice my guitar… from time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat.”
8. “After I saw Jimmy [Hendrix] play, I just went home and wondered what the f*** I was going to do with my life.”
9. “We’re not arrogant, we just believe we’re the best band in the world.”
10. “I want to do a musical movie. Like Evita, but with good music.”
11. “Playing ‘Bop’ is like Scrabble with all the vowels missing.”
12. “For us the most important thing is to be visual, and for the cats watching us to have fun. This is all we want. We get very upset if people get bored when we’re only half way through smashing the second set.”
13. “I don’t know anything about music. In my line you don’t have to.”
14. “A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn’t.”
15. “Wagner’s music is better than it sounds.”
16. “All music is folk music. I ain’t never heard a horse sing a song.”
17. “I should think that being my old lady would be all the satisfaction or career any woman needs”
18. “Audiences like their blues singers to be miserable.”
19. “I’m not vicious really. I consider myself to be kindhearted. I love my mum.”
20. “I’m always amazed that people take what I say seriously. I don’t even take what I am seriously.”
Have we missed any? Tell us your favourite musician quotes in the comments section below!